Child deafness screening
In December, the Ear, Nose and Throat Department at the Hospital de Santiago will be carrying out free child deafness screening for children between 4 and 15 years old.
Appointments must be booked by contacting at any of the hospital's reception desks or by calling 265509200/1.
Dates and times:
- 18, 19, 22, 23, 29 and 30 December
- Mornings, between 09.00 and 10.00
- Afternoons, between 17.00 and 18.00
Possible warning signs of child deafness include:
- Lack of reaction to sounds
- Isolation, difficulties in playing with other children
- Lateness speaking, difficulty in language acquisition
- Late development
- Poor school work and learning difficulties
- Ear infections and frequent colds
- Complications during pregnancy or delivery
- Family history of deafness